PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Copywriter is responsible for developing a cohesive voice for Z Gallerie based on a keen understanding of our brand positioning, customer and product offering. S/He leads editorial copy development for our seasonal catalog, the Z Gallerie website, email and other applications, working with the Brand Creative Director, Merchants and fellow Marketers. The position oversees the Product Copywriter, responsible for developing product detail copy used in the Z Gallerie catalog and online, and an external proofreader. Ultimately, the work of the copywriting team will create a better understanding of, and ultimately excitement for, the Z Gallerie brand, our editorial point-of-view and our products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops a strong point of view for the Z Gallerie brand voice based on an understanding of our brand positioning and customer.
- Consistently applies brand voice in editorial and product copy developed across channels, including the seasonal catalog, the Z Gallerie website, emails and other vehicles.
- Develops seasonal copy to communicate brand POV/inspiration, key trend information, great value messaging and/or problem/solution design tips.
- Oversees a product copywriter responsible for developing the Production Information Database (PID) for each seasonal catalog and creating product copy for items within (product detail, SKU, dimensions, price).
- Oversees the product copywriter as they develop more detailed copy for items living on our website.
- Edits to reflect feedback and proofreads to ensure accuracy of all copy across vehicles.
- Oversees the external proofreader and approves recommended changes based on their input.
- Remains aware of project status and adheres to copy development schedules.
- Thought contributor in weekly email editorial calendar meetings.
- Develops close working relationship across marketing team, including Strategy, Engagement, Events, Web/Email, and Design leads.
- Maintains frequent communication with Merchants to understand key product details and bring them to life through copy that is both functional and evocative.
- Continual innovation and new ideas to support the brand.
- All other tasks and duties as assigned.
Education & Formal Training
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications or a related subject preferred.
- Ability to determine and shift priorities quickly.
- Ability to examine issues both strategically and tactically.
- Ability to carry out detailed tasks and projects with minimal direction or supervision.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables.
- Ability to take initiative to complete tasks and solve problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build positive working relationships.
- Ability to express complex concepts in a clear manner.
- Work is generally performed within an office environment, which includes the use of standard office equipment.
- More than 30 hours a week is spent sitting in front of a computer.
Experience & Skills
- 7-10 years of copy writing experience in a company or agency.
- Retail, home or fashion experience preferred.
- Catalog experience preferred.
- Able to write lyrically (to create desire) as well as descriptively (to create understanding).
- Experience managing a direct report preferred.
- Requires many hours of working in front of a computer and extended periods of telephone work.
- Visual acuity (8-10 hours viewing a computer).
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
Equal Opportunity Employer