PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Assistant Buyer is responsible for assisting the Buyer in product development, sampling, selection, merchandising, ordering, allocation, communication and other tasks while following Z Gallerie policies and strategies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists the Buyers with all activities related to Z Gallerie systems including setting up and maintaining vendors and SKUs, entering and maintaining purchase orders, entering accurate and timely POMA notes, tracking shipments, and entering price changes.
- Identifies business opportunities and recommends new products to the buyer.
- Stays current and well-informed on current trends in the market place.
- Collaborates with and supports buyer with strategy building, assortment planning, product development, sampling, sourcing, purchasing, in store & online merchandising & marketing, store allocation, and in-season management in order to maximize sales and profits.
- Participates and eventually presents product in bi-annual merchandising meetings with store personnel.
- Collaborates with Planner and Buyer on assortment planning tools, purchasing system input and maintenance.
- Manages vendor relations and new vendor set-up including communication of purchase orders, new accounts, payments, and communication of Z Gallerie policies. Maintains communication with vendors to ensure 100% understanding of our needs and intentions related to their product and to have up-to-date delivery information.
- Monitors weekly sales information provided by planning team and contributes to decisions based on trends.
- Reviews new products in store & online to ensure quality standards are met.
- Maintains marketing information tool and sample submission for photography to ensure new items can go live online at the appropriate time.
- Ensures proper stock levels are maintained at the store and internet sites by completing timely Store Allocations and Purchase Order Pre-Distributions while keeping stock balanced correctly.
- Manages the sample request and receipt process, ensuring samples arrive with time sufficient to be approved, ordered, and received prior to seasonal deadlines.
- Works with Marketing on product packaging, signage, and ensuring that markdown information is prepared on time.
- Works collaboratively with the Visual Team in the mock store developing the optimum merchandise presentation for the assigned category. Assists in preparing SKU index and presenting at our twice per year Visual Team Meeting.
- Remains constantly aware of expected product arrival times by using available reports such as the UPS Freight Log, the weekly PO Status report, and being in contact with our suppliers.
- Stays current with all purchase order notes related to delivery dates or changes to the purchase order.
- All other tasks as assigned.
Education & Formal Training
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Ability to determine and shift priorities quickly.
- Ability to carry out detailed tasks and projects with minimal direction or supervision.
- Ability to take initiative to complete tasks and solve problems.
- Creative and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build positive working relationships.
- Work is generally performed within an office environment, which includes the use of standard office equipment.
- More than 30 hours a week is spent sitting in front of a computer.
Experience & Skills
- 2 years of buying office experience.
- Excellent skills in Retail Math, Word and Excel.
- Previous retail store experience is a plus.
- Highly organized with the ability to multitask.
- Requires many hours of working in front of a computer.
- Visual acuity (8-10 hours viewing a computer).
- Professional appearance and demeanor.