PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Planner is responsible for creating department level financial plans that support department and company strategies. The Planner partners with Buyers to create assortment plans and recommend order quantities, leveraging historical data and incorporating merchandise strategies and trends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for achieving sales, margin and turn goals.
- Manage monthly department level OTB and present forecast and action recommendations to management.
- Develop strong collaborative relationship with buying team.
- Actively participate in pricing strategies, including promotions and markdowns that are optimized to deliver financial targets.
- Analyze historical department/class/category performance and recommend and present opportunities for future seasons.
- Share store allocation responsibilities with Buyers.
- Develop forecasts for new SKUs and strategize assortment from a financial perspective.
- Develop seasonal financial merchandise plans at the category and product level that align to company sales, markdown, inventory, turn, return rate, and profit targets
- Run weekly and ad-hoc reporting to analyze business to drive sales and identify opportunities.
- Review and analyze business performance trends.
- Maintain SKU level forecasts that are updated twice monthly or more frequently based on needs of the business, inclusive of units, sales dollars, and margin. Identify trend changes and impacts to business. Develop monthly reorder quantities by SKU utilizing company reorder tool.
- Actively pursue growth and development opportunities, continually finding ways to improve inventory productivity.
- Champion change, taking risks as needed and demonstrating flexibility.
- Encourage innovation, creativity and risk-taking through influence in teams.
- Foster teamwork by being a valued team player and building good relationships across
- Set high personal performance standards that deliver results, convey a sense of urgency and enthusiasm for the business, and help achieve goals despite obstacles or opposition.
- Develop, execute and communicate strategic merchandise financial plans and strategies that support the merchandising and financial objectives of the Company.
- Create preseason sales, margin and inventory plans by Minor/Major that support product and financial strategies.
- Analyze historical data and current trends to identify risks and opportunities by department and class.
- Complete seasonal recaps to highlights opportunities and celebrate successes.
- All other tasks as assigned.
Education & Formal Training
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ability to determine and shift priorities quickly.
- Ability to carry out detailed tasks and projects with minimal direction or supervision.
- Ability to take initiative to complete tasks and solve problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build positive working relationships.
- Work is generally performed within an office environment, which includes the use of standard office equipment.
- More than 30 hours a week is spent sitting in front of a computer.
Experience & Skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent Excel skills and ability to adapt to new tools and processes.
- Excellent skills in communication, retail math, Word and Excel.
- Two or more years of previous Planner experience
- Requires many hours of working in front of a computer.
- Visual acuity (8-10 hours viewing a computer).
- Professional appearance and demeanor.